Current Time https://www.currenttime.tv is a 24/7 television and digital network for Russian speakers, led by Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty in cooperation with Voice of America. We are looking for a Senior Correspondent/Anchor to join our new Baltic show based in Riga. You will be an integral member of the Current Time television news production team. You will host Current Time's news programs and develop, prepare, commission, produce, and deliver a wide variety of visual content on multiple platforms as assigned, relevant to Current Time's target audience and to RFE/RL's mission, adhering to and striving to exceed RFE/RL content quality standards. You will work seamlessly between TV and digital platforms, with a clear understanding of the specific demands of Current Time's audiences and an ability to translate television reports into different formats optimal for digital consumption and vice versa.
• As TV Anchor acts as the principal or backup host of a major news program on Current Time TV as assigned.
• Writes her/his own news copy and edits intros supplied by reporters. Reviews copy and corrects errors in content, grammar, and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines.
• Works closely with Executive Producer, Line Producer, Writers, Multimedia Producers to ensure the program's highest editorial and production quality.
• As Senior Correspondent takes the lead in developing program segments, oversees team members working on a project, writes packages and collaborates with reporters in the field. Works as a field correspondent and a reporter on assignment, determining the focus and scope of reports.
• Conducts interviews in the studio, remotely, and in the field.
• Can be requested to be interviewed or provide on-air expertise as required.
• Presents coverage possibilities to the Executive Producer for discussion at daily editorial meetings and weekly look-ahead meetings in close collaboration with the rest of the team. Works with assigned program editors and producers to ensure proper planning, production, and presentation of program output. Is expected to regularly suggest viable coverage ideas and to contribute to long-term planning.
• Can be tasked with leading a team of content producers to develop and produce a special project for television and digital audiences.
• Understands and applies RFE/RL’s code of journalistic conduct and editorial guidelines. Checks script accuracy, facts, style, and thoroughness of his/her own reporting.
• Exercises good news judgment to keep track of what stories are topical. Looks far ahead on the calendar for coverage opportunities and works with planning on both the TV and the digital sides as required.
• Takes part in relevant training sessions offered by RFE/RL’s Training department to improve her/his performance.
• Develops and maintains a confident, friendly presentation style tailored both for TV and digital audiences. Provides well-informed on-screen commentary during live events, both for TV and digital formats, both scripted and ad libitum in case of a developing story.
• Participates in channel and program promotional campaigns as requested by management.
• Works closely with Current Time Digital to develop and produce digital-first visual content. Produces and stars in engaging content across digital platforms, including social media. Finds innovative ways to tell complex stories to audiences, particularly in video formats.
• Maintains up-to-date familiarity with political, economic, and social developments in and related to the broader Baltic region.
• Keeps deadlines and strives to meet or exceed RFE/RL standards for output quality.
• Adheres to RFE/RL's editorial standards at all times and takes editorial responsibility for all own material.
• Actively participates in program feedback sessions.
• Explores innovative angles for coverage, ensuring relevance for the audience and to serve as an example for best practice journalism.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
University degree in journalism or related field or an equivalent in experience.
• At least 5 years of experience as a field TV reporter and working in comparable journalism/editorial/TV production role in a news media organization.
• At least 2 years of experience working as an anchor, moderator, TV host
• Good familiarity with political, economic, and social situations in the target broadcast area as well as with regional and international affairs.
• Must have a clear understanding or RFE/RL mission and broadcast area targets.
• Must have a clear understanding of the target region's linguistic and cultural sensitivities.
• Has a confident, friendly, relatable on-screen presence. Is able to communicate complex ideas in clear, conversational language.
• Sound editorial judgment. Ability to edit work of others and to take responsibility for an output segment.
• Must have excellent Russian-language verbal skills. Excellent communication and presentation skills, both written and oral.
• Ability to maintain a positive working environment. Proactively provides support within and outside own team.
• Possesses comprehensive content-creation skills; requires minimal editing and editorial supervision. Has developed a network of original sources and cultivated one or more specific interests of coverage, in addition to being capable of all-round reporting and writing.
• Seeks opportunities for professional development both in terms of challenging assignments and in training.
• Sound editorial judgment. Ability to edit the work of others and to take responsibility for an output segment.
• Willingness and ability to learn and to work with equipment, data research tools, and new technologies and media platforms, as well as to acquire or enhance the knowledge of journalistic practices relevant to assignments.
• Ability to maintain a positive working environment. Proactively provides support within and outside own team. Positive, professional demeanor; highly organized, dependable, and motivated with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet challenging and changing deadlines.
• Proactive, can-do attitude, with excellent interpersonal skills-- a team player with ability to work effectively with individuals within and across teams.
• Ability to provide basic coaching to junior staff when required.
• Russian language, native level, mandatory
• Latvian or Lithuanian or Estonian, proficient level, mandatory
• English, intermediate level, mandatory.