ESTATES ASSISTANT (LVA20.232)
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Category :Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Subcategory :Estates
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Note: Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption. You may find more information in the Additional Information section below.
The Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) has a worldwide network of embassies and consulates, employing over 14,000 people in nearly 270 diplomatic offices. We work with international organisations to promote UK interests and global security, including the EU, NATO, the United Nations, the UN Security Council and the Commonwealth. The British Embassy in Latvia is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for an Estates Assistant.
Main purpose of job:
In support of Health and Safety and Fire Safety compliance of Embassy properties, carry out regular property inspections and simple repairs and maintenance tasks in Embassy properties; work with external contractors; and maintain appropriate paperwork.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Carry out maintenance duties, simple repairs and broad range of maintenance tasks on Embassy properties, e.g. ensuring fixtures and fittings are in good working order, minor plumbing and carpentry, testing electronic appliances, clearing or cleaning general areas, shifting and assembling furniture or equipment, painting and decorating, changing filters, maintaining compound external area throughout different seasons, and other.
- Carry out regular monitoring of Embassy properties and technical systems, documenting issues discovered and raising those issues with the Estates Manager.
- Implement Health and Safety and Fire Safety requirements, and ensure external contractors adhere to relevant work safety practices.
- Support the Estates Manager in carrying out preventive maintenance of the Embassy properties and technical systems. Assist with engaging with external specialist contractors and arranging maintenance works, monitoring contractor’s work.
- Make purchase of materials, and timely reporting/accounting for these purchases.
- Fill-in and file appropriate work documentation in electronic and paper format.
- Manage the stock and inventory of work equipment, materials and tools.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Good command of Latvian and conversational English is mandatory;
- Broad range of maintenance and practical skills;
- Ability to resolve problems, and resolve requests quickly and efficiently;
- Ability to read and understand instructions (in Latvian and English), and adhere to health and safety guidelines;
- Good communication skills, ability to deal with customers, other contractors or maintenance workers;
- Capable of working with machinery, moving furniture or equipment;
- Able to work as part of a team;
- Driver’s Licence;
- Computer skills.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Qualifications and/or Courses, and/or proven experience in health and safety, fire safety, electrical safety, plumbing, plastering, carpentry, or general maintenance will be considered as an advantage.
- Being resourceful, self-motivated and flexible.
Changing and Improving, Delivering Value for Money, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
Application deadline :28 June 2020
Grade :A1 (L)
Type of Position :Full-time, Permanent
Working hours per week :40
Region :Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
Location (City) :Riga
Tev varētu interesēt arī:
Beigu termiņš: 10.10.2021
€ 1000 – 1250
Beigu termiņš: 30.09.2021
Beigu termiņš: 17.10.2021