Head of Political (LVA22.703)
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Category :Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Policy & Political roles)
Job Subcategory :Political
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Who we are:
The British Embassy in Riga is part of a worldwide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking to recruit a Head of Political (Internal).
What we are looking for:
The jobholder will be a senior member of the Embassy’s Political Team and will lead on the following issues: domestic politics, economic analysis and reporting, and any related issues. The jobholder will build and maintain a network of contacts, and will advise Embassy’s senior leadership and teams on engagement with local politicians, academia, NGO’s, business representatives and journalists. The jobholder will draft and implement engagement strategies; lead on follow up to the UK-Latvia Joint Declaration; lead and coordinate relevant visits; and work closely with other officers and teams within the embassy to ensure coverage of cross-cutting issues. The jobholder will work with colleagues in Political team to share oversight of Post’s Communication and Public diplomacy work and advise on the Embassy’s public engagement. Oversight of Embassy’s Justice and Home Affairs (JHA) work including Citizens Rights, health, social care, and other related issues. Line management responsibility of the Political Officer (JHA).
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Build and maintain relevant contacts with the Latvian government, NGOs, academic and media sources
- Lead on developing and maintaining in depth knowledge and insights on domestic politics and economy, by carrying out research and analysis, and by meeting with domestic contacts
- Provide reporting, analysis and briefings to senior leadership and colleagues within the Embassy and wider FCDO on relevant political and economic developments as requested
- Provide draft responses to enquiries from the press and public, including by seeking input from colleagues, and offering advice where necessary
- Carry out lobbying on UK interests where necessary
- Oversight of Justice and Home Affairs (JHA) issues including Citizens Rights, health, social care, data and transport/driving licences
- Working with Head of Political (External) to share oversight of Post’s Communication and Public diplomacy work in conjunction with the Press and Public Affairs officer to advise on public engagement and engagement with representatives (interviews, blogs, and articles) and through social networks
- Draft and implement engagement strategies as necessary or requested by FCO including leading on the UK-Latvia Joint Declaration
- Lead and coordinate relevant visits
- Work closely with other officers and teams within the embassy to ensure coverage of cross-cutting issues
- Liaise with relevant Embassy teams on engagement with the British Council and other stakeholders around the Embassy’s work to support independent media, social cohesion, and access to reliable information
- Plan and organise inward and outward visits from the UK and regional interlocutors that support FCDO objectives
- Identify opportunities to use relevant programme funding for projects and events that support FCDO objectives and have oversight for their delivery and management within the
- Political Team; contribute to the work of the Embassy’s Programme Board
Work closely with colleagues on public diplomacy events to support Embassy’s objectives (including conferences, media campaigns, visits and projects)
- Support HMA, DHM and Political Team colleagues by arranging meetings and providing translation if needed
Line Management and Resilience:
- Line Management responsibility of the Political Officer for Justice and Home Affairs.
Support colleagues and provide cover for absences within the Political Team.
- Responsibility for planning and oversight of relevant Embassy, Programme and event budgets.
- Key member of the Embassy’s Programme Board.
- Member of the Post Management Board.
- Participate in Post crisis activity.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Good understanding of Latvian domestic political and economic issues, min. 3 yrs. professional experience in a similar role
- Full professional fluency in English and Latvian (C1/ C2 level CEFR framework*)
- Good project management skills
- Excellent organizational and administration skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and team working skills.
- Good IT skills including Microsoft Office and Outlook.
- University degree (BA equivalent or higher) in a relevant subject
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Good understanding of international policy issues.
- Experience in event management and or visit planning.
- Russian language skills.
Seeing the Big Picture, Making Effective Decisions, Delivering at Pace, Communicating and Influencing
Application deadline 15 January 2023
Grade Higher Executive Officer (HEO)
Type of Position Full-time, Permanent
Working hours per week 37.5
Region Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
Location (City) Riga
Type of Post British Embassy
Number of vacancies 1
Salary Currency EUR
Salary 2730 gross
Start Date 13 February 2023
Other benefits and conditions of employment
This is a full-time, permanent position of 37.5 hours net per week.
Embassy provides all its Employees the following benefits:
Two additional annual leave days on top of those mandated by law.
- A combination of Latvian and UK public holidays - 14 working days-off per year.
- Comprehensive Health Insurance that among others also includes dental care and sports.
- The successful candidate will be subject to professional background and security clearance.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Riga are subject to terms and conditions of service that are in line with the employment laws in Latvia.
Visa/work permit requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Latvia and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country.
The deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered. Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Kindly be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
*Please note for more information on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment levels please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your language skill is going to be assessed.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Country Based Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.
Papildu informācija: 2730 gross
- Rīga, Latvija
- Pilna slodze
Lielbritānijas Vēstniecība .
Uzņēmuma mājaslapa: http://www.gov.uk/fcdo
Reģistrācijas numurs: 90000497679
Tev varētu interesēt arī:
€ 1250 – 1550
Beigu termiņš: 29.03.2024
€ 1500 – 3500
Beigu termiņš: 01.03.2024
€ 2000 – 2500
Beigu termiņš: 07.03.2024